WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT?
One-on-one learning sessions once a week with an Israeli partner, through ZOOM, on the topic and time that suits you both.
HOW DO I GET A PARTNER (CHEVRUTA)?
Sign up and answer a short questionnaire that will help us pair you with the right Chevruta. The pairing process is done with the utmost attention and care.
WHAT DO WE LEARN?
There are five "learning tracks" for you to choose from:
1. Tanya: Learn the basics of Spiritual Hasidic thought and connect to it in your personal way
2. Parsha: Learn a subject from the weekly Torah Portion and discuss its message for you.
3. Prayer: Learn the meaning - both literal and conceptual - of the Prayers we say every day.
4. Talmud: Learn how the Talmud works and continue the very lively conversations that started thousands of years ago
5. Pirkei Avot (Ethics of the Fathers): Learn the roots of Jewish ethics and Jewish values, and get involved in the discussion.
HOW DO WE LEARN?
After we connect you and your Chevruta together, You set a weekly learning session in a time that works for both of you. Learning material both in Hebrew and in English is provided to you on a weekly basis and can be found on our website. You will see shortly how your learning style evolves, and so will your relationship and connection.
YOUR LEARNING COMMUNITY
Your learning track is also your learning community. In the track's Whatsapp group you can share thoughts and questions, and connect to other pairs who learn the same subject. Communicating with your learning track colleagues gives you another dimension of learning and enhances the learning experience. Our periodical Zoom assemblies for all track members are another way of connecting and deepening your learning.
SPIRITUAL "FARBRENGEN" GATHERING
A "Farbrengen" is an old Chasidic tradition that includes a gathering of people who are interested in sharing and hearing, creating a heart-to-heart conversation about their Jewish lives, dreams, aspirations, successes and areas to improve. The Shalhevet monthly Farbrengen is an opportunity for all Shalhevet participants to meet and discuss acute Jewish topics of concern or inspiration that are part of our Jewish identity.
WHAT'S THE IDEA?
• Personal connection with an Israeli
• Encounter Jewish texts firsthand and acquiring tools to grapple with them independently
• Torah learning on your own terms, interests, and according to your personal learning style
• Being part of a learning community based on mutual interest and comprised of all kinds of Jews.
ALL THIS – FOR NO CHARGE, AND BY INVESTING JUST AN HOUR A WEEK!
WHAT EXACTLY DO I GET WITH "SHALHEVET"?
• A careful matching system that works to match you with a Chevruta that suits you
• Learning material, translations and guiding
• Personal assistance from the Shalhevet team with any challenge that arises
• Being part of an organization that has a vision of creating a learning community where any Jew from any background can feel at home and including invitations to extra programs and initiatives.
WHO ARE WE?
This program was created by students of the late Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz z"l of blessed memory, and the Steinsaltz Yeshiva in Israel. Rabbi Steinsatlz was a world-renowned scholar and teacher who embodied the call for taking ownership of the Torah for every Jew from every background, according to the motto: "Let my people know". Rabbi Steinsaltz was a well demanded lecturer in every kind of community throughout the world, and multitudes of people saw him as their mentor. In his long career, he affected the lives of hundreds of thousands of Jews who sought a deeper meaning in their lives. This program was created to honor is memory and attempt to continue his legacy.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
You can sign up directly here:
For more information, please look us up at:
or e-mail us at:
We are excited to hear from you!
Please feel free to share this amazing initiative
with friends, colleagues and family!
PEOPLE TELL ABOUT SHALHEVET:
My chavruta is amazing. He is warm, engaging, understanding, and brilliant, but totally humble. He has really made an impact on my life
This has been a fablous connection. I have been looking for a Chevurta to study with for a while and am so happy with this program
(Beth, New York)
This has been a difficult year. I have been stuck home, like many others, for much of the time. Meeting with my chavruta weekly has been a godsend, literally. I am able to discuss whatever Jewish issues are on my mind, and I always feel more grounded and at peace after each session. I think I have an unusually deep, sensitive and wise chavruta. I can't thank him and the whole Shalhevet program enough.
(Josh, New York)
The Shalhevet Program seems like a genuine first step toward a whole new creativity of Jewish life. Thank you,
a million times, for putting dozens of us together!
It's very exciting to be part of this step toward a healthier, more spiritual Jewish world.
I have so appreciated the opportunity to learn with a study partner from Israel. I have been feeling a bit adrift from my community and even from Judaism... Tamir has helped reignite my passion for Torah. Thank you!